6 Reputable Graduate Programs In Social Media Or Digital Marketing
For those who are trailblazers or just functional realists, you may be wondering where you can go to get a post-graduate credential in social media and/or digital marketing. Well there are quite a few programs who are jumping on the bandwagon. I figured it would help to compile a list of the ones that I have heard about and seem to be solid programs. Note, not all programs are housed in business schools; but all programs have strong accreditations on file. Oh, and it is also only fair to let you know that not everyone agrees with the concept of a social media graduate program (something to consider).
1. West Virginia University
The Integrated Marketing Communications program is housed by West Virginia University’s esteemed Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism. A certificate program was created in 2001 and the full-fledged master’s program began two years later. It is now one of the largest graduate programs at WVU. This is most definitely helped by the fact that all three programs can be completed online.
- Degree(s): M.S. – Integrated Marketing Communication, Certificate – Integrated Marketing Communication, Certificate – Digital Marketing Communication
- Location: Morgantown, WV (Online)
- Cost: $32,955* for M.S. program, $12,675* for Certificate Programs (* – non-resident tuition rates)
- Some Alumni: Jason Falls, Dana Hanzlik, Emily Benner
- Program Website: http://imc.wvu.edu/
2. University of Florida
The graduate social media program at the University of Florida is also housed at the School of Journalism and Communications. The University of Florida has received high marks for its online programs from the Sloan Consortium. They also have programs in Web Design & Online Communications.
- Degrees: M.A. – Mass Communication, Social Media, Certificate, Social Media
- Location: Gainesville, FL (Online)
- Cost: $12,640* for M.A. (* – in-state tuition)
- Some Alumni: Lenny Leithauser, Kristin Blitch
- Program Website: http://socialmedia.jou.ufl.edu/
3. Rutgers University
This program is a little different in that it is really a continuing education program geared towards marketing and advertising professionals. Hosted by the Center for Management Development, it a one-week long accelerated program and all participants are given an iPad.
- Degrees: Mini-MBA Marketing* (* – not applicable for academic degree credit)
- Location: New Brunswick, NJ
- Cost: $4,995
- Some Alumni: Raul Torres
- Program Website: http://cmd.rutgers.edu/programs/mini-mba-social-media-marketing#tab-Overview
4. New York University
When it comes to academic brands, New York University (NYU) is about as strong as they get. The School of Professional Studies has both master’s and certificate programs focused on digital marketing. Not the most affordable program on the list, but a good example that some top-ranked universities offer such programs.
- Degrees: M.S. – Integrated Marketing, Certificate – Digital Media Marketing
- Location: New York, NY
- Cost: $16,354/term
- Some Alumni: Susana Roges, Robert L. McCutcheon
- Program Website: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/marketing-and-pr/academic-offerings/graduate/ms-in-integrated-marketing.html
5. Southern New Hampshire University
This is the only M.B.A. program on the list. Accredited by the ACBSP, this program requires 10 core MBA courses in a variety of subjects, and a 3 concentration courses in social media.
- Degrees: M.B.A. with a concentration in Social Media
- Location: Manchester, New Hampshire (Online)
- Cost: $20,691
- Some Alumni: Ermelinda D’Alessandro
- Program Website: http://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/graduate-degrees/MBA-online/social-media.asp
6. University of Washington
The University of Washington has a lot of options for those who are interested in social media; from the more technical subjects (such as web analytics) to the more social (such as digital storytelling). The credits in the certificate program do not transfer into the masters programs and only the certificate is available online.
- Degrees: Master of Communication in Digital Media, Master of Communication in Communities and Networks, Certificate in Social Media Technologies & Implementation
- Location: Seattle, WA (Online)
- Cost: $2,229/course (resident), $3,980/course (non-resident), $925/course (certificate)
- Some Alumni: Harry Hayward, Dacia Saenz
- Program Website: http://cl.washington.edu/ & http://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/social-media.html