Hello, I’m Rishona
Just a bit about me: I’m a native Pennsylvanian and first-generation American (on my Dad’s side). I’m also Jewish and a single mom to 3 precocious little boys. They are featured a lot on my Instagram account!
I’ve had a personal website online since the days of Geocities and MS Frontpage (so going on 20 years). I have a BA from West Virginia University and an MBA from Florida Gulf Coast University. I was a non-traditional student from a low-income home and I was the first person in my immediate family to earn a college degree. So I am very mindful of the issues that face low-income women of color who are trying to get ahead — economically, socially and spiritually.
I’ve worked in real estate operations in the past — but I recently transitioned to public service work as a fiscal specialist (budgets are my jam!). The coronavirus pandemic of 2020 was a pretty stressful time in my household in terms of childcare & finances. So in November in 2021 I started a side hustle.
As you can see, I am a lifelong learner. I don’t think that age or race or gender should limit anyone — in spite of what society thinks. Thanks for stopping by!
- My mother/father did not know Hebrew when I was born — but named me ‘Rishona’ which is literally Hebrew for ‘1st (feminine)’
- My twins were born 2 days before their older brother’s 1st birthday (oops x2)
- I moved to Harrisburg, PA on a whim — but it turns out that I really like it here!
- I had an article published in The Forward
- A co-worker discovered that I was his cousin after researching his genealogy (small world)
- I was on the set of an Iggy Pop/Sum 41 video
- I was quite ‘anti-TV’ prior to the pandemic – but have since caved. My favorite things to watch are Law & Order: SVU; sci-fi (including anything from Star Trek and Terminator franchises); superhero stuff (I prefer Marvel…but my boys will watch whatever) and documentaries.
If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader.— Dolly Parton